Louse is an insect that makes no difference between people: its host may always have clean and fresh hair, or dirty oily scalp, be black or white, woman or man, adult or kid. If your children attend school, or you work in public place, chances of infestation increase. How to ensure profound lice treatment and prevention? This article was created to show you the most helpful methods and measures.
- 1 Basic Information About Rid
- 2 Are Lice Treatments Safe?
- 3 How Many Lice Treatments Are Needed?
- 4 Does Lice Treatment Affect Hair Dye?
- 5 Vinegar and Ways to Use It
- 6 Olive Oil Treatment For Lice
- 7 Mayonnaise – a Cheaper Alternative
- 8 Tea Tree Oil Lice Treatment
- 9 Shampoos and Creams
- 10 How to get rid of bugs in home?
Basic Information About Rid
As a rule, all kinds of head lice treatment presuppose the removal eggs and dead critters in the end. Every procedure is ended this way to eliminate insects and reduce their population. That’s why you need to know some basic rules:
- Purchase a metal lice comb with fine teeth. These can be found in usual pharmacies and online-stores. Such a device allows removing eggs and bugs much more effectively than usual ones. Don’t forget to sterilize instruments after every procedure with hot water.
- Dispose of eggs and insects that have been removed. Make sure they won’t hatch and repopulate your dwelling.
- Use a magnifying glass to see the critters better, light your place better.
Are Lice Treatments Safe?
How Many Lice Treatments Are Needed?
As a rule, it is enough to use a special chemical remedy 1-3 times to kill all the insects. However, natural remedies might need to be used over and over again during several weeks and months to exterminate the population of parasites entirely. Time of treatment is also defined by the scale of infestation: the longer it stays untreated, the longer it will take to kill the parasites.
Does Lice Treatment Affect Hair Dye?
Shampoos and creams do not protect dyed hair from color loss, so in 99% cases people using them will observe fading of color after several uses. Some products wash color down stronger than others.
Vinegar and Ways to Use It
This is an old and tried product for natural lice treatment. Vinegar repels insects and kills eggs, destroying the sticky substance keeping them on hair shaft. If you don’t want to spend too much on cure, and afraid of remedies containing chemicals and toxins, this is a sensible alternative. There are different methods of vinegar usage, select what appeals to you:
- Take a syringe and distribute apple vinegar on head skin and hair. To help yourself, use a regular brush. Keep for up to ten minutes, and wash away adding some shampoo and rid hair.
- Blend water and vinegar in equal parts in a sink, and put hair with scalp into it. You can stand with your face turned to it, or backwards. Wait for fifteen minutes, wash hair with tap water and rid.
- Blend vinegar and mineral oil, put it on hair, cover the head and leave for up to 12 hours. Then wash your head with shampoo or dish wash liquid (Dawn helps to get rid of fatty mess on head). Don’t forget to comb your hairs.
Apple vinegar (in comparison with other types) is the most effective against parasites, and smells a bit better. When you use pure vinegar, it should be a 5-10% solution. Otherwise, you may damage scalp.
Olive Oil Treatment For Lice
This ingredient has somewhat different effect on bugs. It clogs their breathing channels and makes them suffocate. Lice cannot live without air more than a few hours, so if you block access to oxygen, they are most likely to die during a night. Apply olive oil on hairs and scalp, put a shower cap on, and spend a night this way (minimum six hours). Then shampoo hair properly, and comb insects out. Remember that this remedy does not kill nits! So when removing them, destroy shell.
Mayonnaise – a Cheaper Alternative
You don’t have olive oil at hand, but there is some mayonnaise? It is hard to believe, but this product may exterminate pests and be the part of super lice treatment. It acts the same way as olive oil: blocks bug’s respiratory channels, making them suffocate. The method of treatment is similar as the previous one: apply mayo on hair and scalp. Put a shower cap on, and leave for 6-9 hours. After that, wash away, using a shampoo mixed with dish wash liquid – it will dissolve fats and make hair totally clean.
By the way, both mayo and olive oil can also serve as vitamin masks for hair, saturating them with vitamin E and moisturizing. So if you perform such a procedure several times, you will greatly improve health of hairs.
Tea Tree Oil Lice Treatment
Shampoos and Creams
Think that the best lice treatment necessarily includes usual prescription or over-the-counter remedies created especially for extermination of parasites? Then you can find a lot of solutions in the Net and pharmacies. They may have different active ingredients:
They have proved to be very effective, and in most cases, 1-2 applications of remedies with such ingredients are enough to get rid of critters forever. However, some of them cause allergic reactions and are not safe for kids and babies.
How to get rid of bugs in home?
Although this measure will not stop an outbreak, it can help to prevent re-infestation and protect other family members from the bugs. Home treatment for lice is essential for keeping infestation under control. When struggling with insects, you should keep your dwelling clean with particular interest to:
- Carpets and furniture. Vacuum them several times a week or everyday to eliminate live insects and their nits.
- Wash bed clothing in hot water and processed in hot drier as often as possible. The same applies to clothes.
- Non-washable items that contact with person’s head should be kept in a sealed plastic bag while you are fighting against the infestation.
All combs and hair accessories used by the affected person should be sterilized daily. Don’t forget about car seat, and vacuum it on the place where person’s head rests. Hope this information about lice treatment at home and methods of bug extermination will be useful for your family. If you notice the presence of little critters, resolve to some of these remedies, and bugs will leave you soon.